4.13.2016

Being A Little Dramatic: Dramas = Excellence

Band of  Brothers. Ronald Spiers. "The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it."


Breaking Bad. Walter White. "I have spent my whole life scared, frightened of things that could happen, might happen, might not happen, 50-years I spent like that. Finding myself awake at three in the morning. But you know what? Ever since my diagnosis, I sleep just fine. What I came to realize is that fear, that's the worst of it. That's the real enemy. So, get up, get out in the real world and you kick that bastard as hard you can right in the teeth."


I have often thought it was just my personal taste that drew me to dramas. They have grit. They put the truth of life on film and make people see what they try everyday to ignore. In my own observations I have found that people who like living in a safe bubble avoid or try to manipulate the hard truths. Those who want change put it under a microscope and invite everyone to see it. That is what dramas do and these do it very well:

  1. Band of Brothers (2001) *Action, Drama, History 9.5 stars 
  2. Breaking Bad (2008) *Crime, Drama, Thriller 9.4 stars
  3. Game of Thrones (2011) *Adventure, Drama, Fantasy 9.4 stars
  4. The Wire (2002) *Crime, Drama Thriller 9.4 stars
  5. The Sopranos (1999) *Crime, Drama 9.2 stars
  6. Sherlock (2010) *Crime, Drama, Mystery 9.2 stars
  7. True Detectives (2014) *Crime, Drama, Mystery 9.1 stars
  8. Firefly (2002) *Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi 9.1 stars 
  9. The Decalogue (1989) *Drama 9.1 stars
  10. The Twilight Zone (1959) *Drama, Fantasy, Horror 9.0 stars

A Clip From The Decalogue

A Clip From The Twilight Zone


These shows tell the truths of life through amazing storytelling. Each one has their own unique style of writing, film techniques, and design elements combined with great acting. They all work together to bring us to our knees, wrench our hearts, disgust and shock us, and make us say..."Wait. This really happens. Things like this really affect people in the world." People do die, sometimes in horrible ways. People do do horrible things when backed in a corner. But people also hold each other together and build communities. We serve each other in soup lines and cure each other in hospitals. Dramas show us our good and our bad. They show us both options of who we choose to be. And we need to continue to show the hard truths of life so that we never forget that we always have that choice.

I do not own any of the pictures or videos. My research is from www.imdb.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment